Monday, September 28, 2009

The journey home


I went home this past weekend to Toledo, Ohio. My sister and I surprised my mom (and my brother went as well) to support her in her last weekend at her first call at Salem Lutheran Church in Toledo, Ohio. She has served there for almost 20 years. I felt so proud. She has accomplished so much there and went through so many struggles there but she always sticks to her message that God's love is for everyone.

I think that in part of her helping other people, she didn't help herself sometimes so I hope that her new call can be a fresh start. Now she and many others feel a mix of emotions...let's just say there was a lot of crying this weekend.

I brought this up in a previous blog post...but home is many places. Maybe that old saying is true..."home is where the heart is". Toledo feels like home. Many people were telling me they would miss me (even though I've been gone for 6 years). That church has raised us. The other saying, "It takes a village to raise to child." Salem Lutheran Church is our village.

No comments: