Thursday, September 17, 2009

Japanese club


I'm excited. As part of my hours for the program I work for I am going to start a Japanese club at the school I'm working at. It will be an after school program...2 groups that will each meet twice a week for 45 minutes with about 15 students from grades 4-6. Another way that I can incorporate my Japan experience into my life here and make it not feel so much like a faraway dream.

I have a lot of ideas from learning basic language, to art (calligraphy, origami, etc.), food (yay for onigiri), dance, dress up in yukata, pen pal letters, read Sadako and the Thousand Paper cranes and make 1000 cranes and send them to Japan, study festivals, geography, history, etc. This club could really touch on a lot of content areas and I can keep up my studies too and continue to learn. I am by no means an expert on Japan but I hope the kids (and myself) learn a lot.

Let me know if you have any more ideas!
I'm going to try to start biking again next week after Ramadan is over. And I have called my grandmother numerous times but I think she may be at work when I call. Just following up on my list...

1 comment:

kay jay said...

How exciting for you :)