Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nothing is constant

Recently I was talking to a fellow JET. She is a very deep thinker. She was talking about how nothing is constant. She also talked about about how once she realized that nothing is constant, changes that happened in her life were easier to deal with.

I have been thinking about that ever since. It is so true. Change happens all the time. It is how we deal with those changes that will determine what kind of life we have...how we view change (as positive or negative) will determine how we maneuver through or around change.

Today were the high school entrance examinations for junior high school students. I watched those kids leave after they took their tests and thought about how they don't know what high school they will attend even though the new school year begins in a month. So many unknowns, so many changes.

I think about how I received news that a family friend recently died. She was young. One moment she was riding in a car and the next moment a woman in another car had a heart attack, lost control of her car and hit their car. Change happens so quickly.

I think about the unknowns about next year for me. Where am I going to live? Where am I going to work? How will the transition be living in the US again?, etc.

I think about meeting my grandmother...how in one day I can have no answers and the next I can find out that my dad lost contact with his mom and how even knowing that one fact changes my perspective on a lot of things.

Change happens. Nothing is constant.

No comments: