Tuesday, December 16, 2008

So if I understood correctly...

So if I understood correctly...yesterday (Monday), one of my students told me her dad died on Friday morning, something about a gun. What I don't understand...on Friday we had ball games (a time for the students to relax after exams and for teachers to grade) and I was chatting with that exact student. If her dad died, wouldn't she have been pulled out of school? I asked her yesterday why she was in school and she said she didn't come to school on Sunday (because students sometimes come on Sunday). I understand having to move on and everything but being in school on the dad your dad died and coming back 3 days later seems a little extreme to me.

On a lighter note...(I haven't had regular classes for awhile, just lessons on Christmas but I forgot to write about this). At the beginning of the term I had students make notecards with information about themselves. Then, I can use these cards to call on students throughout the semester (so I don't call on the same kid all the time). Anyways, so I was just going about my usual routine and called on "Ayumi Hamasaki". Everyone just bursts out laughing and wouldn't stop. Then I realized that Ayumi Hamasaki is a Japanese famous singer... not one of my students. The student had put Ayumi's name in the place where her name was supposed to go and put her name where her favorite singer was supposed to go. It was pretty funny. http://avexnet.or.jp/ayu/index.html

Other than that...just waiting til Winter Break. We have our closing ceremony on the 22nd, the same day that Maya comes!

1 comment:

Carl said...

Hey Irene. Its been a while since I've visited the blog but I'm glad to see that you and Yuki are doing well. The 22nd must just be a day for great things because its also the day that I make it back to Toledo for the holidays.

I hope that whatever response your father gives, or in the event of no response at all, God grants you the strength to accept it.

In any case, Merry Christmas! I'm sure you're as excited to have Maya arrive as I am to get back home.