Saturday, August 9, 2008

Settling in...




I have been without the internet or phone for over two days...how do people do it? I just felt unconnected to the world!

Anyways, since the last time I wrote...

On Wednesday I was suddenly pulled out of lunch and told by one of our advisors that my supervisor was there. I wasn't at all prepared to meet her because it was a day earlier than we were told but my supervisor came because she found out on Tuesday that my landlord went broke and that we must find a new apartment. She did research into three apartments and told me it was my choice. I took her recommendation. It is a 3 minute walk to school (instead of a 20 minute bike ride) and comparable rent price (Japanese initial rental fees are expensive but the rent seems to be much lower than in the states, maybe the small size??).

On Thursday we had orientation (a lot of information - a little overwhelming - with a guided tour of Fukui) and the FJET (Fukui JET Association) and the International Club hosted a BBQ for us.

On Friday we had a little more orientation and then had a short ceremony with our supervisors. I gave the ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) speech in Japanese (which was an honor to be asked to do so) to thank our supervisors. I'm still not sure exactly what I said and it was weird to hear myself speak in Japanese but I am glad that I did it ;-) My supervisor and another English teacher came to help me get settled in. They were both very nice and extremely helpful. We went to get two photos taken, then to apply for my alien registration card, then to contact with the rental company (of the new apartment), then to school to fill out paperwork and meet some office staff and then to the new apartment to meet with a representative from the gas company. My supervisor and I also went to my predecessors old apartment to move some small things. (I like the apartment I have better than the apartment I was supposed to get. It is newer and much closer to school. I am very happy but just feel bad for the former landlord). I felt like an inconveniece but there is NO WAY that I could have done any of this myself.

On Friday night I decided to explore a little so I found a restaurant about a block from my house (which my supervisor had pointed out to me so I didn't starve). I ate some curry. I also went to the grocery store to buy non-perishable items that I could eat for breakfast the next day. I asked for their point card which one teacher had suggested that I do but I couldn't understand anything they said back to me. This has been a common problem. I can ask any question from a phrase book but then I don't quite understand the response and I get a blank look on my face and just say thank you to the person.

In general I feel a little incompetent and dependent on people. Everything takes so much energy to do, even things that would seem simple. For example I wanted to buy a phone card. I asked at the JR Train Station. They directed me to a location on the map which ended up being phones (but not phone card). Some other ALT's whom I met up with on Saturday (some experienced ALTs took up shopping) were very helpful and suggested a hotel. We tried there, no success. Then we found a conbini (convenience store) where we found one. But later that night I was back in my neighborhood (a little outside of the downtown area) and couldn't find an international phone...only domestic. I walked up to the post office (which was open at 9 p.m. on a Saturday night!) and they directed me back to the downtown area but by that time the buses had stopped running (I ride the Smile Bus ;-)

I have managed to get around by prefacing everything with Nihongo ga hanasemasen (I don't speak Japanese). I just don't want people to think I'm rude by not responding to them. I just hope this doesn't stop my learning.

I have never lived on my own...so I am a little lonely. I just have to figure out how to keep myself entertained. I can't wait until Yuki comes.

This morning 3 teachers and my supervisors husband moved stuff from my predecessors apartment to my new apartment. I coudn't help because there wasn't enough space in the vehicles. Then 2 more teacher came to help set up the apartment. They were very nice and very helpful. I took for granted back home that I could read remote controls and know how to operate gas and hot water but they helped me learn the basics. I am looking forward to getting to know them and working with them.

Today I just came downtown to find an international phone but got enough energy to find the International Activities Center where there is free internet in 30 minute time slots. I will go home later this afternoon to arrange my apartment.

Tomorrow I will meet with my supervisor to open a bank account, contract a cell phone, etc. Then I'll jump on the train to Toyohashi to meet with some friends. That will be an experience to navigate because I chose the cheaper route (with more stops and transfers).

Until next time...

1 comment:

propa said...

Happy adventures lady! I'll be reading whenever you're writing.