Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The past few days...





so after I wrote last time...

I met up with another ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) and we navigated around the city on bikes. We parked them in a bike lot by the JR Station (train station). When we came back they were gone! We went to the tourist info center and the koban (police) and then came to find out someone had put them on the racks for us (because we had just set them on the side). Whew. Bike theft is not common here. Many people used bikes and bikes have to be registered here so police can tell if a bike was stolen, but luckily in this instance that wasn't the case...I haven't tried to venture out on my bike yet but in the next few days I will try...I guess I am just scared I will get completely lost! and forget all the Japanese I have ever learned!

So Monday morning my supervisor took me to the bank first thing when it opened but they couldn't open the bank account until I got my cell phone. So we went to the cell phone company but then went back to the bank to get out the money that I had just put in...long story short I had to pay for the $300+ phone up front. I realize I spend money here that I would never spend at home but the yen still feels like play money I guess. Plus I want to be connected and keitai or cell phone is definitely the way to do it here. Some people text and e-mail more than call because on most plans it is cheaper. I got a SoftBank phone with a simple plan (called the White Plan). And guess who is the celebrity associated with SoftBank? Cameron Diaz...very Japanese, huh?

So, after I jumped on the train to Toyohashi to visit some old IYA (International Youth Academy) friends (who had come to Toledo through Toledo Sister Cities). I missed the first transfer because I got very confused. I asked the conductor and he told me to get on the next train, or so I thought. When the next train came it was headed back to Fukui. Well I asked another conductor and he pointed me in the right direction. I just had to get on the next train (an hour later). I'm glad I tried it though. I arrived in Toyohashi an hour late. My friends Erika and Mayu picked me up. We went to Mayu's house for a wonderful Japanese style BBQ that her parents had set up. Oishii (Delicious!!) The next day we ate breakfast, went to some stores and went to an okonomiyaki restaurant where you grill your own food. Very fun and unlike anything I have done before. We had specialities from Tokyo and Osaka. Oh, and at restaurants usually the waiters/waitresses have an electronic keyboard to take your order ;-) Also, there was a drink bar and we had shaved ice and here they put a milky cream on it.

A few random things I am starting to adapt to that I can't remember if I already wrote about, so sorry if I did...in Japanese houses there is a genkan area, or entryway, and you ALWAYS take off your shoes. I really like this custom. In school, we do this too so I need to find some school slippers. Also I have not seen a dryer here...everyone dries their clothes outside. Also, most people carry around washcloths/fans to wipe their sweat because it is ridiculously hot and humid here. Even men carry around fans here. I have seen that there are some very specific gender roles here but some things considered effeminate in the US are perfectly normal here.

I really like the beauty of Japan...in many aspects. On the bus ride I saw a lot of the Japanese country side. I especially like the mountains...when the sun hits a certain way they look all shades of gray and some even look like they are white. I can't explain it very well...you just have to see them for yourself.

This week I'm off of school for the Obon holiday. I'll try to navigate my way around the city on my bike and arrange my apartment. Not to mention read through the stacks of papers that we were given.

Sorry about the randomness, I just always have so many thoughts on my mind!

3 comments:

propa said...

Wow, that was an expensive phone, I hope it does a lot!
That was very nice of someone to move your bikes for you. Back home you know they would've been long gone.

Unknown said...

hey Irene! Cj told me about this blog, its REALLY interesting to read about your experiences in japan thus far. I hope you're able to keep it up once you begin teaching. I'll be checking back here from time to time. Good luck!

kay jay said...

Irene,

Sounds like you are getting your feet on the ground. Good job! Be care on the bikes! They are fun, but sometimes the heavy traffic and paths are dangerous. Seriously, I know you are probably not as accident prone as me, but there are some little bike paths and crazy drivers...anyway...

Interesting about the texts. It makes sense that texts are cheaper, but it is weird how that affects phone usage. it is the same way in korea. I didn't get why my study buddy (korean person), would only text me and never pick up my calls, but i found out that only like boyfriend and girlfriends who are super serious or really important family will talk on the phone, otherwise all forms of communication are texts. I know that it has to do with saving money, but think about how that totally changes relationships and interactions. its weird!i thought anyway...

hope all is well!