Monday, August 25, 2008

Festivals (Matsuri)

Special thanks to Kali! Now I know how to post pictures...so if you have a minute you can check back at my previous posts where I put in pictures in to go with each post.

On Saturday I was going home to my usually quiet neighborhood but there was a lot of noise, lights and people at the nearby park. I got up the courage to go (from all I could tell it may have been a family gathering)...and then just stood at the side. I then again got the courage (everything takes courage to do here...even the simplest things) to go up and talk to a woman standing by herself (I think this was due in part to the article Carl linked on my blog - Thanks Carl!). She told me it was the neighborhood summer festival. We talked a bit and I'm not sure if she fully understood what I said and I definitely didn't fully understand what she said...sometimes i would just nod my head...so I am still not sure what I agreed to ;-) but we still communicated. She went and got me some yakitori (grilled chicken on a stick) and some orange juice. I asked her ikura desu ka which means How much is it? but she didn't charge me. I am not sure if she paid or the neighborhood association donated it to the strange foreigner...but all I know is people here are very generous and kind.

The next day I was determined to go to another festival that I had heard about...The Eiheiji Lantern Floating Festival. I often go into the tourist information center at the JR Train Station in central Fukui because they speak a little bit of English and are always willing to help and answer any questions (and do all this very slowly so I can understand). I asked a lot of questions about where to go, how to get there, how long it would take, etc. After I exited the office one of the ladies followed me out of the office to give me more information (this happened twice)...another example of how kind and accomodating this country can be.

The actual festival was awesome. There was all kinds of food. I ate yakitori, korokke (potato cake?), noodles and ice cream. There was fish on a stick but I didn't have the nerve to try it. Once it got dark the ceremony began...the monks from the temple were chanting sutras but that is about all I know. I should probably find out (after the fact) exactly what was going on. Thousands of lanterns were lit and set to float down the river. I know people bought the lanterns for 1500 yen which is roughly $15 USD. I am also not sure of the significance. It was quite peaceful and beautiful. I just could not get enough pictures and video! Then there was fire works too!

Monday was a day full of workshops. The majority of JETs are not trained teachers so it was a lot of information about how to lesson plan. For me, it was good review...but I am ready to get started actually being in school. There was also a mock/real lesson with local Japanese students. One of the presentations was about future career planning and documenting evidence from this year (it takes me back to preparing my portfolio at St. Olaf). I also realized here that I need to stay very busy this year to be the most productive I can be. I've found that when I have nothing to do, I do nothing. But when I am busy I am happiest and most productive.

On Sunday night I had a dream about meeting Papa. I don't remember what happened but it has been on my mind since. I brought (to Japan) all the letters he wrote me when he first left and just came across a postcard he sent me...that had an address on it. I don't recall every writing to that address and don't know why I never did. Hmm...this is going to be a journey. I got sad about it last night...and a little lonely. So I am especially looking forward to Yuki coming to share this experience with me and to support each other through whatever happens with Papa. I am mentally preparing myself for multiple scenarios.

Today at school I actually felt like I had something to do. I attended a ceremony to honor those students who made high accomplishments in sports this summer. It was quiet compared to what I remember CCHS's assemblies. Later, I gave a speech (short) for the teachers at the teachers meeting. It was a little nervewrecking but it's over. One of the teachers gave me a book to look over to plan the first lesson. I briefly talked with students from the English Speaking Society (ESS) Club about the presentations they will prepare for next weeks school festival (they had made a poster about the US and about Ohio already!) A teacher asked me to edit a listening comprehension test that will be given later. I was a little picky on editing...I think I was a little too specific but I told her my corrections were just suggestions...to make it sound more like natural English speech. This experience is really going to test and refine my English skills. There were somethings that I could not explain so I need to work on being able to explain why something sounds better. Lastly a girl from the ESS club dropped off a journal where students in the club write in English. I think I am supposed to respond...not sure but it is good practice for them.

Ja ne...


















3 comments:

kay jay said...

Cute shoes (in your pic!) P.s. thanks for the shout out. also, something cool (well not really, but I tend to be overcurious), if you click on the photos they will enlarge! ha ha. that's all. (that is how I got to see the lovely detail of your flats...mmm shoes...)

keep it fresh sista.
buh bah!

propa said...

You are making videos too? I hope I get to see some of them.

Unknown said...

I'm really glad to hear that article was helpful for you!