Monday, July 6, 2009

ahh!


Time flies. Isn't that so true...

I have two weeks and one day left in my year in Japan. I can see the rest of my days here on one page in a calendar. Where has this year gone? It makes me think about what I've done while here and if I accomplished my goals. I think that I met my main goals of finding my father (even though I didn't find him, we reunited with his family) and learning about the Japanese education system (even though I don't agree with everything). I could have been a little more motivated to study Japanese. I've seen many beautiful things. I've met many amazing people. I could go into detail but I'll save it for when we talk.

Yesterday I spent the day by myself (aside from going to church) which was a great way to reflect about my time here. I went to the history museum (didn't understand anything but still glad I went) and garden that I have been meaning to go to since I got here. I think that many times we want to get out of where we are and see new/exciting things that we don't appreciate what is around us. So that is what I am trying to do...appreciate these last few moments I have left and enjoy every minute.
I am excited to get back home (although Japan is home now too - there are many places I could call home). It helps to know that I have many friends and family who understand this feeling of being a part of two or more different cultures. Some people feel torn with this but I am going to attempt to bring these thoughts and feelings and cultures together. Hopefully I can find a way to incorporate Japan into my "new" life.

1 comment:

kay jay said...

Irene, I look forward to your return...I cannot believe a year has passed since we last met face to face! I am just so happy you are coming "home" or at least coming to visit another home away from home!

Can't wait to catch up...
xoxo