Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Using Japanese
















my new candy supply a view from Itagaki bridge

In General: I am still settling in and getting into the routine.

Speaking Japanese with non-native speakers: In my Japanese class it is interesting because there are people from all around the world who speak many different languages... all there to learn Japanese. So, unlike my Olaf Japanese classes where I could rely on English to communicate with my classmates or clarify a concept, English doesn't always help. This week I was sitting by Chinese speakers so we were able to communicate a little...if we want to communicate, it sure forces us to speak Japanese. I have, however, befriended two people from the Phillippines who I can speak English with if need be. By the way, I bought a notebook from the dollar store (hyaku yen) store for my Japanese studies and on the front says: "many happy returns...Themselves happy, they made the others, too" and on the inside it says on every page..."happy as a pig in shit.." with hearts and a bow. Got to love Engrish!

Using Japanese everyday: I have found that now, instead of going into stores/places and immediately saying "Nihongo ga hanasemasen" (I don't speak Japanese)...I go in and try to speak Japanese and if I don't understand what they say I say, "Sukoshi Nihongo ga wakarimasu" (I understand a little bit of Japanese). I think that this is a little more positive way to look at it then how I was doing it before. This week I used Japanese at the post office...it is strange...sometimes it is cheaper AND faster to send a package under a certain category (small package, for example) than other methods...hmm. I also used a little Japanese to get a points card at the local grocery store, Hearts (with the help of a teacher at school who filled out the application for me).

Japanese TV: I know this is a small world view but I am always surprised when there is a non-Japanese person on tv speaking fluent Japanese. This usually happens with artists on the music channel...and espcially these VJ's on Space Shower TV. I know people can speak many languages and grow up anywhere...but for some reason it surprises me every time. In any other country I don't think that this would suprise me but maybe it is because I had always heard that Japan is so homogenous. http://www.spaceshowertv.com/transporter/vj.html

School: Yay! I am half way through my self introductions! Only 9 more to go! I really have to figure out how to adapt the presentation so I don't lose interest myself ;-) I am getting tired of hearing myself talk about myself. Each class has their own personality and response to my presentation. This week I taught ni-nenseii's (second years - equivalent of Juniors/11th grade in the States) for the first time. I tried to adapt to their level by providing a harder worksheet and speaking a little faster. I had to refill my candy supply (I brought some from the states and it is all gone). 9 lessons of the same lesson (9 per grade) will really let me figure out what works and what doesn't and to improve each time (hopefully).

Getting connected: A girl I met told me about Vonage, a digital phone service where I can have a US number and pay a set fee every month. It requires an internet connection...which I am trying to set up. There are English languages services...but I still don't understand b/c of the technical lingo. I don't know what I would do if it was all in Japanese!


Woo hoo: I am super excited...Yuki is coming next week!!!

No comments: