Wednesday, September 10, 2008

the first days of classes...





These are posters that students in the ESS club made. Also, the classroom where I teach oral communication and the view from one of the windows in that room.


So...the main purpose of me to be in Japan and on the JET Program is not to travel around Japan, get involved in after school activities, learn Japanese and have exciting adventures (although that definitely is part of it which I enjoy very much) but to teach English and get students excited about English. So this week I got to start that ;-) Or attempt to at least.

Yesterday I had two classes and today I had one (so far they were all first year classes - the U.S. equivalent of sophomores). Next week I will start seeing the second years or ni-nenseii's. For the first lesson I do a self-introduction lesson. I have a powerpoint presentation with LOTS of pics and information about me, the US and family. The students fill in a worksheet to check their comprehension. Then they fill in a notecard to give me information about themselves. Little do they know that those will be used throughout the year to call on students randomly (equal opportunity... he he).

The room where I present is the LL room and very hot! Before the first class I was nervous so I was sweaty anyway and add the heat of the room and it was torture. After the class I realized the front window wasn't open...each class gets better though and I learn better ways to do things. I guess that is what good teaching is about...trial and error and always improving. For example, when I gave the notecard assignment the first time I discussed it briefly and many students completed the task differently than I had envisioned. Well the projector wasn't working today so I decided to go over the assignment as a class and that way made a lot more sense. Another good trait to have as a teacher...flexibility. Because the lesson will probably never go exactly as planned. Although the activities in the lesson have been going relatively smoothly and fit into the alloted class time.

I gave out stickers to students who answered questions to encourage them to raise their hand and answer a question in English (they aren't as shy as we were told but they are sure shyer in English class than they were on sports day and at the school festival). I think they thought the stickers were a little stupid (they were these small smiley face ones) but little did they know that at the end of class however many stickers they had would equal how many pieces of candy they would get...American candy. But I am running out so I think I need to buy some Japanese candy.
I try to say hello to all the students when they walk in the room and connect with them but I think learning names is going to be nearly impossible. At Jackson (where I student taught) Ms. Thomas and I had 19 classes and at one point I think I knew all 500 or so kids names but here the names get confusing to me. I don't know sometimes whether they are telling me their first or last name first (here, typically you say your family name first). And I don't know if they are boys or girls names sometimes. The least I can do is try, I guess. The JTE's (Japanese Teachers of English) help me by giving me suggestions to improve (which I greatly appreciate) and the most common one is to SLOW DOWN by how fast I am speaking. I don't think I talk to fast but I guess I have to look at it from their point of view. Could I really sit through someones self intro in Japanese for a whole 50 minutes? There were a couple of students sleeping in class. That could be for a variety of factors. I gently tapped them on the shoulder and asked them to wake up. I asked my JTE about this and she said it was up to me as to how I will deal with that. I mean, I want to hold students accountable and let them know I care that they are awake in English class. But I know they are under a lot of pressure and tired! So after that class with the sleeping students I tried to make a joke at the beginning of class just saying...I know you are tired/hot/hungry, etc. but please don't sleep in my class. But I think because I am not speaking Japanese...well English for them is easier to tune out and thus, sleepiness comes. I just hope I am not that boring.

Yay! I only have 15 more self intros to give...I need to get energy from somewhere. Luckily I am starting out with few classes to build up the occasional 4 or 5 a day (which is still not that bad...I am just not used to the schedule). And also luckily this week (substitute), next week (Respect for the Aged) and the next (Autumnal Equinox) all have one holiday so there are three 4 day work weeks in a row!

Yesterday was the first day of ESS (English Speaking Society) club. About 7 girls showed up. They spoke a lot in Japanese so I missed some things but they tried to ask me many questions (some personal) in English so that's good (that they are trying to use English). These girls choose to be there and want to learn English. They said they usually watch English movies (I recommeded Hitch...and I think somehow I agreed to bring it next week even though I don't have it??) and have discussions, they have a journal where we write back and forth, prepare for English essays/tests/speech competitions, etc., have holiday parties, etc. I gave the idea to set up a pen pal exchange with high school students in the US and maybe when family and friends come to visit Fukui I can ask them to come to ESS so the students have more exposure to English speakers. This will be something I can look forward to every week, a place where I can really get to know this group of students, and have more flexibility for activities (instead of following a curriculum).

Yesterday I went to Taiko (big Japanese drum) for the first time. It was all JET's and the Japanese teachers...it was very fun. And a good workout. I am glad I took a percussion class at Olaf because some of the techniques transfer...this is something I am going to stick with. The teacher speaks mostly Japanese, uses a few words in English. But then it is like a free Japanese lesson...it's the same with hip hop and calligraphy. The classes are very cheap...I think many of the teachers volunteer their time and want to share Japanese culture which I really appreciate and enjoy.

Now, I just have to figure out how to fill the next three hours at my desk at work (no more classes today)...

Useful Japanese phrases:


Do shitara ii desu ka. This translates to How do I do this? Very helpful...


and Nihongo de nan to iimasuka. How do you say this in Japanese/What do you call this in Japanese?

1 comment:

kay jay said...

hey grrrl, sounds like you are really adapting well to the japanese classroom/teacher life. i am glad to hear you are being flexible and understanding. i enjoy reading about it!