Sunday, October 5, 2008

A trip to the hospital

This past weekend...

Movies
Yuki and I went with two friends to see Wanted this past Friday. in Japan, if the theater is full you choose your seat when you buy your ticket (on a screen at the ticket counter). That is different than first come, first serve in the US. For the English movies you can also choose if you want subtitles or voice overs.

Speech Contest
I was one of the (volunteer) judges for the Fukui Prefecture High School English Oratorical Speech Contest on Saturday. There were three sections: technical/vocational school, general/academic school and impromptu speeches. I, along with another ALT, and two Japanese judges judged the 2nd section. In section 2, there were a little over 20 students who gave speeches on numerous topics. I thought they were all so brave to give a speech in English. They all really did a great job...it was hard to give numerical values to their speeches based on content, English and delivery (the categories we rated them in) and to pick the 3 prize winners and honorable mentions. Some were more standout in a particular category and some were more well rounded. The top two winners will go on to the regional competition and maybe even national. The winner we chose wrote about how she is the natto ambassador. I have mentioned natto (fermented soy beans) before...one of those acquired tastes. I like it but many people don't. Her topic choice was unique and very good delivery (she showed her passion for this topic, even if a bit silly).

Hospital
Yuki came down with something like strep. It was getting worse so we decided to go to the hospital. It could have been a very frustrating experience but luckily one of our friends was there and translated for us. It was still frustrating not being able to understand what the doctor was saying and not be able to answer questions. The emergency room was very busy when we arrived but they cleared it out fast...another example of Japan's efficiency. I was very frustrated with trying to get medicine. I went three places before I could find a place that could fill the prescription. I guess even some pharmacies are closed on Sundays. I guess you just can't get sick on Sundays!

School
Today I arrived at school and the schedule changed (this is not unusual). I still don't really get why it changes so often. I had four classes in a row so I am beat. On a random note, aside from the Oral Communication and Writing classes I teach the students have English reading and English grammar courses. I am also helping a girl prepare for her college (English) interview. I am not sure exactly what questions to ask...

2 comments:

propa said...

You can pick your seats in the expensive theaters here, lol.
How was Wanted?
Yuki makes you seem so short... Tell him I say hi, since I didn't manage to before he left.

Cj

irene said...

CJ...I guess I never went to the expensive theaters in the US. I liked Wanted and I am not even a big fan of action moview...it was a little weird though. I am short! I will tell him for you.