Thursday, July 10, 2008

2 weeks away!

So...I've created this blog so that I can reflect on my experiences this upcoming year and also so people back home can know what's going on with me if and when they want. I'm a little more than two weeks away for leaving for Japan. I'm very anxious and excited... I'm going through all kinds of emotions these days. I've been preparing for this trip for awhile because the application process started back in October. I've been packed for awhile to figure out how to get all my stuff from MN to Toledo and then to Detroit (because I can only take one bag on the megabus from Minneapolis to Toledo). I've been trying to study Japanese and refresh what I learned at Olaf but I didn't get as much done as I would've liked. I'm trying to mentally and emotionally prepare myself for the search for my dad. I'm also really excited because I recently found out my brother Yuki will be with me for part of the year so we can really experience life in Japan together!

Every so often I learn a little bit more about my placement. I'll be at Usui Senior High School in Fukui City, Fukui, Japan. It is a mid-size city with what seems like a lot of things to do. I'll be in an apartment that is close to the International Center where I can use the internet and take Japanese classes. I'll be about a 20 minute bike ride away from the school. My predecessor is hooking me up big time by selling me her furnishings in the apartment for cheap. That's really about all I know right now...so I'll just be flexible and go-with-the-flow...

While in Japan I hope to accomplish a lot. Returning to my birth place and fathers country has been a life time dream of mine. For some personal goals I would really like to focus on learning Japanese. I would like to search for my father and his family and get some explanations about why he left and didn't keep in contact with us. On a lighter note I think it would be really cool to learn about some kind of Japanese art (like ikebana, tea ceremony, etc.) and to learn more about Japanese cuisine and the Japanese way of life in general. On a more professional side I would like to learn about the Japanese educational system. Also possible, I would like to travel a little within Asia. So a year may be a long time but I'm sure I'll stay busy and that it will fly by!

2 comments:

propa said...

Wow, this will definitely be a great experience. I wish I could go with you too! Carl told me about it otherwise I wouldn't have known til now. A year is a long time, but I'm sure we'll keep in touch as well as we always have! ;P

Elsa J. Marty said...

Let us know what your address will be!